Saffron, also known as ‘Red Gold’, has been enriching our food throughout history. But most people don’t know its revered status as a valuable medicinal food. There are several benefits of saffron for good health and longevity. Modern science is now uncovering what ancient cultures have known for centuries. Saffron is a treasure trove of health benefits, particularly its antioxidant properties.
Why Antioxidants are important for our health?
Our bodies are battlegrounds against the relentless forces of oxidation. Our bodies are constantly exposed to something called oxidative stress. This stress causes the decay of cells. Picture an apple rotting away over time. That is also what happens to the cells inside our body. This cell damage is the reason for aging and chronic diseases.
The main contributor to oxidative stress are Free Radicals. These unstable molecules come from toxins, chemicals and radiation in our environment. They combine with healthy cells and cause decay. Antioxidants are our natural defenders against these harmful molecules. They neutralise the free radicals before coming in contact with the cells.
The antioxidants in saffron are critical in preventing a range of chronic diseases. Along with supporting immune function, and slowing the aging process. Therefore antioxidants are essential for longevity and a life imbued with vitality.
Red24 Saffron, with its rich tapestry of antioxidant properties, can be a cornerstone of this protective arsenal.
The Secret Behind Saffron’s Antioxidant Power
In the heart of Amertaat’s saffron lies a symphony of compounds. The red threads come from the crocus sativus flower, commonly known as the saffron crocus. These threads contain phytochemicals like crocin, crocetin, and safranal. Each of these chemicals plays a pivotal role in the antioxidant story. They contribute to the spice’s characteristic color and flavor. But they are more than mere pigments. They are the sentinels of health and a defense against age-induced ailments.
These antioxidants can be especially protective for the brain and nervous system. Studies have shown that saffron could help in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. It is remarkable to learn about the far-reaching effects of the most expensive spice in the world. A study on the antioxidants found in saffron extract further demonstrates this point.
What does Science have to say about saffron?
More recent studies show the effects of saffron on various aspects of human health. Some studies were conducted on saffron supplements such as Satiereal. The applications are widespread and encouraging.
At first glance it seems that antioxidants are the only plus point. But as we go further, the science goes deeper into many areas. From neurological to cardiovascular, even anti-inflammatory to anti-carcinogenic. There are even positive effects on eyesight, sleep and sexual health. This really is a miraculous herb.
Here is a list of the top published papers and clinical trial reports with their key highlights:
- Reported to help lower cholestrol by as much as 50%.
- Helpful in maintaining healthy arteries and blood vessels.
- Anti-inflammatory properties. May be one of the best supplements for cardiac health.
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- A significant difference in changes of the mean severity of PMS was shown.
- Some side effects occurred but not severe (headache and appetite changes).
- Saffron possessed better efficacy in the improvement of depressive symptoms than placebo.
- As effective as synthetic antidepressants.
- Could be considered for treating mild to moderate depression.
- Produces a reduction of snacking.
- Creates a satiating effect that could contribute to body weight loss.
- Reported a significantly greater body weight reduction for healthy overweight women.
Source: Nutrition Research (NY)
Another modern ailment that falls under the umbrella of lifestyle diseases. One of the biggest problems with losing weight is controlling your appetite. According to this study, there is evidence that saffron can help curb these urges. Combined with a balanced diet, this could be the secret ingredient for weight loss.
- Saffron had a positive effect on all dimensions of Erectile Function.
- Can be considered as a treatment option for diabetic men with erectile dysfunction.
Erectile Dysfunction affects millions of people. Modern medicine solved the inability to maintain an erection a long time ago. But for people who prefer natural treatments, saffron could be a remedy. Taken in small amounts it can be effective, especially for patients with diabetes.
- Significant concentration-related inhibition effects of the extract on all three colorectal cancer cell lines.
- Anti-proliferative effects were also observed in non-small cell lung cancer cells.
- Inhibited the growth of colorectal cancer cells while not affecting normal cells.
Diabetes/Blood Sugar control
- Possible mechanism of action of saffron and its potential as a therapeutic agent in diabetic patients.
- Saffron and its derivatives cause a significant reduction in plasma glucose levels.
- FPG, HbA1c, cholesterol, LDL-c, and LDL/HDL ratio decreased significantly after 3-months intervention.
- Lower levels of total-cholesterol, low density-lipoprotein-cholesterol and triglyceride (TG), fasting-blood-sugar and hsCRP.
Source: Current Clinical Pharmacology
Vision and Eye Health
- Prevented retinal degeneration and the pro-inflammatory response in retinal cells.
- Protected photoreceptors from light-induced damage in retinal cells.
- Improved visual function in age-related macular edema.
- Decreased intraocular pressure in patients with glaucoma.
Source: Current Neuropharmacology
- Associated with improvements in sleep quality in adults with self-reported sleep complaints.
- Saffron intake was well tolerated with no reported adverse effects.
How can you experience the health benefits of saffron?
Clearly, antioxidants are vital in our quest for longevity. This echoes Amertaat’s ethos of natural purity and enduring health. Within the folds of nature, we find the world’s best saffron – a testament to purity and a beacon of well-being.
It is amazing to see the long list of health benefits and realise that saffron is a spice. It can be used in everyday recipes and dishes. It can even be used for indulgent desserts like a saffron milk cake. Amertaat invites you to infuse the subtle strength of Red24 Saffron into your diet. A pinch of our saffron powder can transform your meals and your well-being.
Can saffron be taken daily?
Saffron is a versatile ingredient with a wide range of potential health benefits. From teas to stews to biryanis, a hint of saffron can be easily incorporated into everyday dishes.
Firstly adding saffron to your recipes enhances the color, flavor and aroma of your dish. Thanks to science, now we also know that it imbues your daily meals with healthy antioxidants.
At Amertaat, each product is a pledge of quality, sustainability, and the purest connection to the Earth’s own vitality. In every strand of Red24 Saffron lies the potential for renewed health and longevity. We bring to you the best saffron in the world. Harvested with integrity and care for a healthier, more vibrant life.